Set in the Karoo Midlands, the Baviaans area features majestic mountains rising from rolling plains, with lush green valleys providing stark contrast. With stunning sunsets and clear, starry nights, the Bavinaans and the Karoo towns of Steytlerville, Willowmore, Rietbron and Groot River is located in the Eastern Cape Province of South Africa.
Known for small stock farming and the richness of its endemic plant species, its fascinating cultural heritage and its abundance of bird and animal life, the Baviaans holds ample opportunity for outdoor recreation for both the adventurous and the less adventurous tourist.
While the areas’ natural splendour attract nature lovers from around the globe, this is not all it has to offer as artists and entrepreneurs flourish under the Karoo sun and create points of interest well- worth the journey off the beaten track. Offering several different routes, the area is the perfect destination for both short and long breaks from the city.
The Baviaansklof is the ultimate destination to experience the best nature has to offer in its purest form and life as it was intended to be lived.
On this tour, we will also be visiting Addo Elephant Park.
This tour is limited to a maximum of 8 vehicles and not off-road trailer friendly.
how to enter
- Visit www.campcover.co.za and subscribe to the newsletter.
- Visit www.ultimateadventures.tv and subscribe to the newsletter.
- Post in the comments a photo of your last camping or off-road adventure, tell us what made it memorable.
- Share the competition with your friends.
short and sweet
- The total prize is valued at R24 000, which includes the following: Baviaans Adventure, valued at R19 000
- Camp Cover luggage, covers and bags, valued at R5 000
- The prize excludes fuel.
- The winner will require a reliable 4×4 vehicle, with low range. The tour is not suitable for off-road trailers and caravans.
- The prize includes all camping and park fees, dinners and guide fees.
- The price is for two adults only, but children of any age are welcome on tour. The prize does not include drinks, breakfast and lunch (refer to “What to Bring”).
- Total distance to be covered approximately 3 000 km (Johannesburg to Johannesburg)
- The tour will take place from Saturday 10 October – Saturday 17 October 2020. The tour date is fixed, and in the event of any unforeseen circumstances, such as a national lockdown or other natural disasters, the tour will be postponed (refer to “Initinary”).
boring, but important
- This competition closes at midnight 3 May 2020.
- There will be one winner drawn by random selection by Ultimate Adventures and Camp Cover. The judges’
- decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- A 50% non-refundable deposit is required to secure the booking, and the balance is payable six weeks before the tour date, paid directly to Ultimate Adventures.
- Children aged between six and 12 years of age pay half price. Children under six years of age are free. Itineraries may change at Ultimate Adventures’ discretion, depending on the availability and size of the group. Tour costs subject to change due to exchange rate fluctuations.
- Cancellations will only apply for a 100% refund (not deposit) if cancelled 30 days or more before the tour date. Cancellation within 30 days of the tour date will forfeit 50% of the amount paid. Cancellations within 21 days will forfeit 100% of fees.
- Group sizes will be limited to a maximum of 10 vehicles, and in certain areas, it will be less.
- VHF radios are compulsory on all 4×4 self-guided tours and can be hired from Ultimate Adventures (R35/day). All tours are designed for the entire family to enjoy so bring along the whole family.
- No rowdy or unruly behaviour will be tolerated on the tour. No generators will be allowed on any of our tours.
- No previous off-road experience is necessary as we provide on-going training and guiding on each tour. All guide vehicles are fully equipped with all the necessary recovery equipment.
- While travelling in remote areas, the guides will make every effort to create a safe and fun environment for you and your family.
- All litter is to be carried with you as there are no dustbins in most of the wilderness areas visited.
- Cross-border and medical insurance is compulsory on all of the tours hosted by Ultimate Adventures. Should you not have cross-border insurance, Ultimate Adventures can assist with recommendations and obtaining the correct insurance.
- The prize may not be exchanged for cash or transferred.
- The winner will be contacted by email no later than 6 May 2020.
- Three attempts will be undertaken to contact the winner.
- All attempts to contact the winner will be made by email and any other means of contact we have available to us. If there is no response from the winner within seven days of the initial email, we will be compelled to pick a new winner. The subsequent winner will then fall into the same above criteria for contact.
- Camp Cover and Ultimate Adventures reserve the right to publish the name of the winner. The competition is open to South African residents only.
- The competition is not open to employees of Ultimate Adventures or Camp Cover.
- Entries will be considered incomplete and thus disqualified if the entrant does not provide all requested information. Entry information will not be shared with any third party without the entrant’s prior knowledge and consent.
- You are limited to one initial entry per person.
- By entering this competition, you permit us to contact you to communicate the results of the competition as well as any future promotions and marketing activities until such time that you opt-out.
Saturday, 10 October 2020
Meet at Addo Elephant National Park. Camp at the main camp.
Sunday, 11 October 2020
Game drives in Addo Elephant National Park. Camp at the main camp.
Monday, 12 October 2020
Travel to Baviaanskloof and camp at Doodsklip campsite.
Tuesday, 13 October 2020
Spend the day exploring, hiking and other activities available in the area. Camp at Doodsklip campsite.
Wednesday, 14 October 2020
Continue through the Baviaanskloof to Makkedaat Caves campsite.
Thursday, 15 October 2020
Travel to Storm’s River Mouth campsite via the famous Prince Alfred’s Pass.
Friday, 16 October 2020
Day of leisure, enjoying walks and sights in the area. Camp at Storms River Mouth.
Saturday, 17 October 2020
Depart for home at your leisure.
what to bring
- Vehicle registration papers or border letter from finance institution.
- Vehicle insurance letter showing cover in the country being visited with dates of travel.Passport and driver’s license. ZA sticker on the rear of the vehicle.
- VHF radio, with new ORRA frequencies programmed, and can be rented at R35 per day. Camping equipment, (i.e. tents, chairs, sleeping bags etc.)
- Eating utensils (knife, fork, spoon, plate, cup, bowl).
- Spare wheel and puncture repair kit. Sufficient drinking water. Additional fuel of 40 litres, if the vehicle has less than 600 km range. Fuel will be available en-route.
- Fire extinguisher.
- Drinks and snacks (breakfast and lunch). Cash and credit cards for fuel.
- Insect repellant. Personal medication. Refuse bags.
- First aid kit.
- Toiletries and toilet paper. Warm clothing.
- Tyre gauge and compressor.
- Recovery equipment and recovery points on the vehicle. Radiator seed net.
- Shovel of a spade. Binoculars and a camera.